Saturday, 3 October 2015

A new venture...

With my studies complete I decided that it was more than time that I got back to sewing but I had so many half-finished and planned projects that initially I didn't know where to start. However, having spent 6 months researching and writing about 19th century bonnets and bonnet ribbons it seemed fitting to choose a project that had been waiting on the back burner for some time.

About two years ago when looking for patterns that I could use to create suitable hats to go with some of my costumes I discovered Timely Tresses. The website is like an Aladdin's cave for the budding milliner and I couldn't resist purchasing some patterns and kits straight away. The only difficulty was choosing which styles to begin with. In the end I picked three, two for me and one for my Mum and waited eagerly for them to arrive from the US.

However, as is always the case with these things, life got in the way and the bonnet kits sat patiently in the bottom of my wardrobe waiting to be made.But then as I was researching my dissertation and coming into daily contact with original bonnets I could feel my fingers itching to get started on one of my own. So the first thing I did once my 15,000 words on bonnet ribbon styles were submitted was to pick my first pattern.

I decided on the Eliza Coretta which is an early 1860s style with a moderately high brim.

The Eliza Coretta pattern from
As I had never attempted any millinery before this was a completely new venture but I was delighted with the end results.

See my next post for more details about this bonnet.

No comments:

Post a comment