It's 2016 and I can't believe I've actually done it! I wanted to have all of my past costumes uploaded by the New Year and this is the last one. I saved the best 'til last and it seemed fitting to have a ballgown for New Year.
This is my latest ballgown that I completed two summers ago. I wanted a new gown as I didn't want to wear the same dress as the year before to the same event but I also wanted a project that wasn't going to break the bank. Since the ball was in the summer, a muslin dress therefore seemed the obvious choice.
The bodice was made using the same Truly Victorian pattern (TV442) as my first Victorian ballgown, but instead of using the bertha I applied some beautiful wide cotton leavers lace to the neckline. I didn't use a pattern for the skirt - this was simply a huge rectangle of fabric cut from three widths of fabric, pleated onto the waistband on my dress form. To add a little weight and structure to the hem I made three deep tucks at the bottom. This really created a beautiful swirl when dancing as the whole skirt lifted up when I twirled - such fun!!
I also made two different sashes and flower posies to pin at the neckline so that I could wear the dress to more than one ball. One was of fushia coloured satin in a simple bow and the second was a dark green and blue tartan sash stolen from a later 1870s pattern, that created a waterfall look at the back - unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of this so that will have to be saved for a future photo shoot.
So there we have it - I am now up to date and ready to start sewing and posting in real time as I begin some new and exciting projects.
Wishing everyone a very happy New Year and especially happy sewing...